Amazon Prime is one of the few subscription services nearly anybody can avail however, one of its most appealing features is often overlooked in the midst of competing services. Amazon Prime Video has a vast library of content that can compete with the most popular ones such as Netflix, Disney Plus, and Hulu.
In reality the service has expanded to the point where there’s an independent Amazon Prime Video subscription in various markets that’s less expensive than an Amazon Prime subscription. It offers a variety of shows and movies, and also popular Amazon Originals like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and The Man in the High Castle.
If you’re considering an upgrade to an Amazon Prime subscription or want to learn more about what your current subscription has to the table, we’ve put together an entire guide on all you must be aware of regarding Amazon Prime Video, from pricing to the most popular movies and more. Want to know more on Amazon Prime beyond just video streaming? We have a comprehensive guide available here.
What exactly is Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video (or just Prime Video) is an streaming service for media online that is usually bundled with the famous Amazon Prime service. It has thousands of movies and shows that you can stream from the moment you sign up, with high-quality 4K for a select number of movies and shows. Alongside the content that is included with the package several more digital titles to rent or purchase.
Prime Video was first made available over 10 years back in United States, but it’s slowly being rolled out to almost every country on the planet. Amazon has also released several original shows and movies, both in the company’s exclusive Amazon Studios and third-party studios.
In certain countries, Amazon Channels can be further enhanced through Amazon Channels. This lets you sign up to certain channels like Showtime, Shudder, and other channels with no commitment to long-term contracts.
What’s the procedure?
Similar to of the other services streaming, Prime Video works by hosting movies and shows on remote servers that you can connect to using your smartphone, computer or smart TV, or any other connected device. If you’re connected to an unbroken connection, the content will be able to buffer and offer a smooth experience. Additionally, you can download media onto your device so that you can watch it offline.
If you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber, all you have to do to access the service is to download the application via either the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store or go to the Prime Video website from your computer.
After you’ve selected the show or movie you want to stream, the stream will begin immediately or following a brief (skippable) intro trailer to a different Amazon Prime Video series or film. As you continue to watch more, the system’s algorithm will suggest content it believes you’ll enjoy. Content is regularly added to the platform, too and you’ll always find something new to see.
Amazon Prime network use and the requirements
A lot of people in the US have only a few internet connections, however Prime Video’s minimal requirements are accessible to almost everyone. You’ll still require an internet connection with high speed to stream content that is supported at UHD (4K) however SD streaming and HD streaming has surprisingly minimal requirements.
- .5 5Mbps — Minimum needed speed.
- 1.5 1 Mbps -recommended speed.
- 3.0 In Mbps — The recommended speeds in SD streaming.
- 5.0 1 Mbps — The recommended speeds to use for HD streaming.
- 25Mbps — The recommended rate to stream UHD (4K) streaming.
These requirements are exactly the same as those of competitors such as Netflix Amazon, and Amazon is also able to display the usage of data per month on the main page. You can also switch between various qualities in the blink of an eye without needing to restart your streaming. Here’s what Amazon estimates for use of data is:
- High high-quality It is .38 GB/hour
- Higher quality — 1.4 Gb per hour
- Best quality — 6.84 GB per hour
Does Amazon Prime Video worth it?
With streaming quality now gone and catalogs of content, Amazon Prime Video has an edge over other streaming services because of its connections in Amazon Prime. It’s one of the many features that are included in the subscription. It’s not even the reason why people choose the subscription.
Alongside Prime Video, the subscription provides you with the benefit of free 2-day (or lesser) shipping as well as accessibility to Prime Music, Twitch Prime as well as the ability to download free Kindle ebooks, and much more. Find out more about the benefits Amazon Prime offers at the hyperlink below.
These benefits tip the scales significantly to the advantage of Amazon Prime Video when compared with other streaming services that are ranked among the top. Netflix’s basic plan, for example is priced higher each month that Amazon Prime (and much more when you sign up for Prime per year instead of month by month) but it does not include four-channel streaming in HD or the option of having more than two streams.
The separate Amazon Prime Video subscription (without other perks) is harder to recommend , at $8.99 per month. This isn’t that much less than an Amazon Prime subscription. Prime Video’s library of movies is great but it’s not as full of TV series or blockbuster movies like Hulu as well as Netflix.
If you’re not thinking of signing up for a few months to catch up on an excellent Amazon Original like The Expanse or The Boys, a full Amazon Prime subscription will give you a more value for your money.
What do experts think?
Amazon Prime Video isn’t in the news often despite being among the most popular, largest streaming services available. It’s been in existence since more than 10 years and the slow release in terms of upgrades and new content over the years means that any reviews that were written about the service in the beginning are outdated.
Here’s a brief summary of what experts on the internet have to say regarding Amazon Prime Video:
- Android Authority‘s own Mitja Rutnik pointed out in the early part of 2020 that this service was extremely under-rated and often omitted from the debate about streaming services and Netflix getting the most attention. According to him that the service is as excellent as Netflix and has a robust collection of original content for a less cost.
- PCMag‘s Ben Moore gave the service a high score for providing great original content, and up to 4K resolution on the basic plan, but he’s worried regarding the potential future for the streaming service, as it loses increasing third-party content and content to other streaming services.
- Cnet‘s Alison DeNisco Rayome was overall pleased with the service however she wrote the following “Prime Video serves as more of a complementary product that is akin to Netflix and Hulu and is less robust in general in comparison to both.” However she also voiced her displeasure at the service for having no profiles. However, these are now available on the platform.
- Jesse Schedeen from IGN has given the service an excellent score for excellent original content even though its original programming doesn’t meet the standards established by Netflix. He also criticized Amazon Prime Video’s interface which isn’t up to par with its rivals even after years.
What are the thoughts of everyday users
Amazon may perhaps not be the world’s most admired business these days (or anytime over the last two decades) However, Amazon Prime Video remains a very popular service. We polled our customers in early 2020 to find out what streaming service was their top choice and the results are available below.
Netflix was, as expected, the winner with the most votes, with 63.92 percent of the votes and Amazon Prime Video in a distant second, with 13.32 percent. However, it’s an impressive performance of Prime Video, which is much higher than other streaming services such as Disney Plus, Hulu as well as HBO Now (which was been replaced in large part with HBO Max). Take a look at the complete review here.
It may not be an overwhelmingly positive review, but you need be aware that the issue is about the user’s first choice. It does not take into consideration the third or second choices as Netflix has a monopoly over this field, it could widen the scope of discussion.
Is Amazon Prime Video available?
Amazon Prime Video is available all over the world. Amazon Prime is available, which is over 200 nations across the globe. The subscription is available to every country, except those that have troubled relationships with the US and more specifically Mainland China, Iran, North Korea, and Syria.
The contents (aside of Amazon Originals) will differ among marketplaces, however the user experience should be similar. Amazon Channels, however, might not be available in every marketplace.
What is the cost of Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video isn’t the most affordable streaming service for video and it’s available in Amazon Prime, which offers amazing value to customers who shop online. Here’s the price Amazon Prime cost in various marketplaces across the globe (without discounts):
Amazon Prime prices
- United States — $12.99/mo or $119/year
- Canada -Canada – CDN$7.99/mo or CDN$79/year
- United Kingdom — PS7.99/mo or PS79/year
- India -India – Rs.129/mo or Rs.999/year
- Australia — AU$6.99/mo or $AU59/year
- Europe -Europe – Variable by country
If you don’t want to shop on Amazon there’s a less expensive subscription that is only streaming across a variety of countries. In general, it’s not much more expensive than an Amazon Prime subscription, so you’re not going to get as much value from it. However, it does have an impressive selection of content that can justify the cost of streaming heavy content.
Amazon Prime Video standalone cost
- United States — $8.99/mo or $108/year
- United Kingdom — PS5.99/mo
Then, Amazon Channels allows Prime customers to sign up to certain channels for a monthly cost. There are over 100 channels that are available in certain areas (scroll down to learn more about channels) Here’s a list of the most well-known channels available on Amazon Prime Video and how much they cost.
Amazon Channels are priced (US)
- Epix — $5.99/mo
- Showtime — $10.99/mo
- Cinemax -$9.99/mo. $9.99/mo
- Starz — $8.99/mo
- Britbox — $6.99/mo
- Paramount Plus — $4.99/mo
- AMC Plus — $8.99/m0
- Shudder — $4.99/m0
- MLB.TV — $24.99/mo
- PGA Tour Live — $9.99/mo
How can I access Amazon Prime Video for free?
Amazon Prime, particularly the annual subscription, could be quite a good investment for families with a limited budget. If you’re unsure what you’re spending money on, you’ll be pleased to find out that there’s an offer of a 30 day trial for free for accounts that are new. The trial lasts for 30 days, which is plenty of to enjoy a couple of Amazon Originals (and benefit from other benefits).
The offer is even more attractive for those who are students. If you can prove that they’re a student with an .edu account or any other documents that proves it, the trial period is extended for the period of six months. Then, you’ll be able to enjoy 50% off of the cost of a year-long subscription, which is more affordable than other streaming service. However, none of them come with the same extra benefits.
If you’re only wanting to stream videos it’s also possible to think about sharing your Amazon Prime Video account with your family and friends. The service has recently added profiles support to allow you to keep your viewing history private from other users. Additionally, it can stream three streams simultaneously so sharing won’t be a problem.
Another option to receive Amazon Prime Video for free is to subscribe with other providers. A lot of mobile and cable subscriptions are included with the year-long subscription to Amazon Prime as well, so make sure you take a look at the most recent offers and deals by clicking the link below.
How do I obtain Amazon Prime Video?
In case you’ve already got the Amazon accounts, it will take just a few seconds to begin streaming with Amazon Prime Video. As we mentioned earlier you can join Amazon Prime or save some money by only signing up to Amazon Prime Video.
What devices do Amazon Prime Video support?
While this wasn’t always the scenario, now Amazon Prime Video can be streamed on a variety of devices. Some features may not be accessible on each device (for instance, subtitles UHD and live stream) The most optimal experience will be using one of Amazon’s devices.
Streaming via streaming from your PC or Mac could be the best option however the quality is only limited to HD. Even the PC app is able to stream in UHD even though it’s possible on some Android phones. The best televisions for smart homes as well as streaming sticks such as those on the Amazon Fire TV. Learn how to setup Prime Video on a TV here or browse the complete list of supported devices below.
Amazon Prime Video supported devices
- Amazon Fire Sticks and Fire TV OS smart TVs
- Roku gadgets as well as Roku Smart TVs with OS
- Android devices, tablets and smartphones
- Smart TVs.
- Blu-ray player (LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony)
- iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
- PlayStation 3 4, 5, and 5 consoles
- Xbox One and One X consoles
- Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart TVs by LG, Samsung, and Vizio
What’s new on Amazon Prime Video?
Amazon Prime Video is often neglected by Netflix and other streaming services, however it does boast an impressive collection of top films and shows, including numerous excellent Amazon Original shows and movies that aren’t accessible on other platforms. Find the most recent titles available on Prime Video at the link below.
There are more high-profile films and series to be released in the near future, thanks to Amazon Studios acquiring the rights to a huge IP such as The Lord of the Rings. Together with a variety of classic films and new series, it offers an extensive selection that offers plenty of entertainment for every person.
The exact content that is available on the platform will be contingent on the location you’re around the globe, however continue looking for a sneak peek of what’s on offer.
Top shows available on Amazon Prime Video
The Amazon Prime Video original series are among the best selections, with well-known series such as The Boys, The Man in the High Castle, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel exclusive to the platform. Take a look at a comprehensive list of the most popular shows in the US by clicking the link below.
If you’re in the dark about streaming, here’s a short list of the most popular shows available to stream now:
KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA – 2019/04/20: In this photo illustration a Internet video on demand service owned by Amazon company Amazon Prime, logo seen on an Android mobile device. (Photo Illustration by Avishek Das/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)
- The Boys The Boys is a superhero show based on a comic book with the same title. The story takes place in a world where people who have superpowers aren’t always acting as heroes, with the group known as “Boys” committed to teaching the characters a lesson that they will never forget.
- The Expanse The Expanse A science-fiction thriller which was picked on Amazon following its pulled by Syfy after just three seasons. The show is set in the future when the cold war between powers of Earth as well as Mars is poised to break out into a full-on conflict throughout all of the Solar System.
- The Good Omens Good Omens A comical series with a limited scope inspired by a book written from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It’s about an angel as well as an demon who join forces to stop armageddon so as to enjoy their existence on Earth.
- Homecoming is a action thriller based on a popular podcast that has the same title by Gimlet Media. This is about the work of a social worker who works at a mysterious veterans’ program and currently there are two seasons of the show available on the site.
- The Man from The High Castle -Drama which is set within an alternative universe, where the Axis powers won WWII. It’s based off a book that was written published by Philip K. Dick, and the show ended in the middle of four seasons.
- The Amazing Mrs. Maisel-Comedy-drama set in the 1950s and focusing on an eccentric housewife who finds out that she’s got a talent in stand-up comics. The show has won many awards over its runand is an extremely highly praised series available on Amazon Prime Video.
- Modern Love A romantic anthology series that examines various ways of loving in the contemporary world. It has a cast of actors and actresses who are famous and was recently renewed for the second season.
- Transparent Transparent HTML0 — A comedy-drama about a family that discovers that their patriarch lives as a transsexual woman. It was among the first original programs on Prime Video, and it is still one of the top over five years later.
- The Underground Railroad – A limited-time series set in a different 19th century where the network that the US South set up to free slaves is actually a railroad.
The best films available are available on Amazon Prime Video
A Amazon Prime Video subscription includes many movies you can play immediately. And generally, they include fully subtitled content and multi-language support. Explore the top options available on the platform currently for the US below.
If you aren’t able to discover a film you want to watch there are thousands films available to purchase or rent and stream immediately. This gives it the most effective library than the competition.
Below, we’ve included a few Amazon Prime Video Original movies to give you an idea of what’s available available on the platform, no matter the place you live.
- Chi-Raq -A musical crime-comedy created and directed by Spike Lee. The story revolves on gang violence in Chicago and is the first film made through Amazon Studios.
- Honey Boy Honey Boy A comedy that was written by and featuring Shia Labeouf that’s based on his troubled childhood and the struggles the death of his dad. Even even if you’re not fond of Shia’s outrageous behavior, it’s a compelling film worth the time to watch.
- Manchester by the Sea -Drama about a man, who becomes responsible for the care of his son who is just a few years old. The film was awarded many awards in 2016 such as Academy Awards for Best Actor (Casey Affleck) and the Best Original Screenplay.
- The Report — A thriller-drama about a team of investigators who discover the CIA’s use torture following 9/11. 11 attacks. It features Adam Driver as the lead investigator. The film also includes flashbacks of immediately following the attack.
- Coming 2 America Coming 2 America – The long-awaited sequel of The classic film Coming to America featuring Eddie Murphy reprising his role as Prince Akeem of Zamunda.
- The Tomorrow War The Tomorrow War Chris Pratt stars in this sci-fi epic about time travel, about people today being recruited to combat an alien invasion on Earth in the near future.
Amazon Prime Channels
If you’re looking for more streaming content from Amazon Prime Video, you ought to look into the Amazon Prime Channels. They’re live on-demand channels that Prime subscribers can access for an additional monthly fees. Additionally, many have a seven-day trial period for free.
The channels include channels such as PBS Kids, and Comedy Central Now to full streaming services such as Paramount Plus and CuriosityStream.
It’s true that you’re enjoying convenience as each channel costs the same like other services or standalone subscriptions. It’s still a great option for those who cut their cords and are always looking for more content.
List of Amazon Prime Channels
- Acorn TV
- Paramount Plus
- Comedy Central Now
- Hallmark Movies Now
- Lifetime Movie Club
- Nick Hits
- PBS Kids
- PBS Masterpiece
- PGA Tour Live
- Smithsonian Plus
- Sundance Now
- up Faith & Family
A plethora of excellent Amazon Prime Video shows and films
If you’re still not able to find something you want to take in, we’ve got several more lists sorted by genre to peruse. Take a look at them by clicking the hyperlinks below!
- Horror films available on Amazon Prime Video
- Family films are available through Amazon Prime Video
- Classic films are available through Amazon Prime Video
- Documentaries available on Amazon Prime Video
- Halloween films available on Amazon Prime Video
- animated content in Amazon Prime Video
- Comedy are available on Amazon Prime Video
- Action films available on Amazon Prime Video
- The top Christmas films available on Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video alternatives
Although Amazon Prime Video is a excellent choice for those wanting to stream their favorite movies as well as TV programs, you should check out other options before you decide to pull the trigger.
Take note that neither of the options that are listed below offer the same benefits that the Amazon Prime subscription, which is the way that most people in the globe get Amazon Prime Video. However, if it’s not of any importance to you and you simply need more content to stream then here are your top choices.
Amazon Prime Video vs Netflix
Netflix is always the biggest elephant in the room when it comes to talking regarding streaming service, and with reasons that are well-founded. The streaming service hosts an enormous amount of content, with more popular unique content that any other service.
Netflix’s basic plan is limited to the 480p resolution, however it’s priced the same as an independent Prime Video subscription at $9 monthly. If you’re looking for higher quality (which we’ll admit we all do) The 1080p plan is $14 per month, while the 4K plan costs $18 per month.
A Amazon Prime subscription offers more advantages for less however if you’re only watching streaming content Netflix is the more appealing service. In the end, there’s not much overlap in between Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video, so it’s worth signing up to both.
Amazon Prime Video vs Hulu
For streamers with a budget who aren’t inclined to watch movies but more attracted by the most recent television shows Hulu will be the best option. The streaming service that is ad-supported costs only $7 per month which is less expensive than an individual Prime Video subscription.
A Hulu subscription gives access to many famous shows like Seinfeld, Futurama, and ER and next-day streaming of current shows when they air on live television. If you’d prefer to watch the shows live, you could buy an Hulu + Live TV subscription and eliminate the cable for great.
To save more money and access more streaming content than you can possibly be able to Disney Plus-Hulu-ESPN Plus bundle at just $13 per month.
Disney Plus vs Amazon Prime Video
Disney Plus is the latest youngster on the block in terms of streaming online services, however, it’s only just gotten going with a bang. It’s not just one of the top streaming options for parents with children, but it’s also host for every Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar film ever made.
The service also plays host to a variety of shows aren’t found elsewhere such as High School Musical, Hamilton, WandaVision, Loki, and The Mandalorian. Explore the complete listing of Disney Plus shows and movies to find out more.
To make it even better it is inexpensive at $7 per month. As mentioned above it is possible to pay a little more to purchase Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN Now bundle and provide all your streaming needs with just one subscription.
Apple TV Plus vs Amazon Prime Video
Apple’s debut into the streaming market comes as a result of its streaming gadget, Apple TV. The streaming subscription service, which is dubbed Apple TV Plus is among the most affordable options available on the market with prices starting at $5 for a month.You could even get a year’s subscription free when you buy numerous Apple products.
Additionally, almost every piece of content available on the platform is exclusive. You won’t see shows that are reruns of 90s sitcoms however, you can discover well-produced movies and shows such as See, The Morning Show, Mythic Quest, and many more. We’ve listed some of our most-loved Apple TV Plus shows here.